Benefits for Residents:
- Residents are able to see and smell food before selecting.
- Residents choose what they would like to eat and the quantity.
- Residents eat better because they eat what they want, and can finish the food on their plate.
- Residents experience direct contact with the Dietary Staff, which allows for immediate feedback on the acceptance of the food.
- Residents appreciate one-on-one contact with Dietary Staff.
- The food and plates are hotter (crock pots, warm plates, SuzyQ Cart)
- The dining room is much quieter, as there is minimal complaining about meals, service, lack of attention, and staff are not running back and forth.
- Bulk condiments replace most portion-packed foods, and these are easier for residents to handle.
- Residents gain back some control over their lives.
Benefits for the Food and Nutrition staff:
- Dietary Staff get to personally know the residents.
- Dietary Staff do not have long “likes/dislikes lists” to read, as residents are now asked what they would like first before their meal is served.
- No pre-portioning of milk, juices or desserts since residents can now select food and drink directly from carts. Time saved can be used more productively.
Benefits for the Nursing Staff
- Residents leave the table more content, and normally do not require as much attention after meals.
- Less complaints during meals, resulting in more time being spent on assisting residents during meals.
- Teamwork between the Dietary and Nursing staff is greatly improved.
- Charting on resident food intake is easier because of better and improved staff interaction with the residents.
Benefits for the Management Team:
- Major cost savings!
- Definite decrease in food wastage
- Better use of leftovers as food and drink are not pre-plated or poured, so uneaten food can be used again.
- Bulk food replaces expensive portion packs.
- Happier residents and families with food service
- Resident council meetings are more productive as less time is taken up regarding food issues.